Pop-Tarts Sushi, Anyone?

August 16th, 2010 emcarp11

One of the most challenging aspects of my internship has nothing to do with work. Rather, it’s where to go for lunch. (Being based in midtown Manhattan certainly has its advantages!)

For instance, do you know what Pop-Tarts Sushi tastes like?

Yes, yes – I did say “Pop-Tarts Sushi.”

Don’t worry, I am not talking about some horrible concoction made with raw fish and breakfast pastry. Now, that really would be gross.

What I am actually talking about is the most popular menu item at Kellogg’s newest promo tool, Pop-Tarts World. Chefs at the store, which opened in Times Square on Tuesday, make this treat by chopping up three types of Pop-Tarts and rolling them up inside a Fruit Roll-Up. Then all they do is cut the roll into pieces and, Voila! Pop-Tarts Sushi!

Dedicating an entire store to one breakfast pastry might seem like a bit much, but, from a PR standpoint, it’s pretty smart thinking. Kellogg’s has not only gotten a ton of press for the opening, but also it has earned a place next to the other well-known Time Square sweet stops, such as the M&Ms World and Hershey’s.

After two days of reading articles about the launch of Pop-Tarts World and listening to people here talk about it, my curiosity got the better of me. I headed down there one lunch-period, bring back a few menu items for my colleagues. In addition to Pop-Tarts Sushi, there was “Ants on a Log,” which is essentially celery with peanut butter and crushed Wild Grape Pop-Tarts on top.

Sooo…was the Pop-Tarts Sushi worth the buzz it was getting?

Well, it’s not terrible (although Jeff might disagree; he couldn’t stand the taste for more than five seconds before getting rid of it), but it’s not the best thing I’ve ever tasted. It tastes as you might imagine: a really sweet chewiness mixed with bits of pastry. (I’d recommend “Ants on a Log” before the roll-up.)

Honestly, the best part of my adventure was being able to head out into the city and try something new on a whim.

Over the past seven weeks, I have spent almost every lunch-break exploring mid-town Manhattan and learning to appreciate everything that this city has to offer. Being in the area of Grand Central, Times Square, and the Empire State Building, you can understand just how many options I have around me. If I want to walk around Bryant Park or visit the New York Public Library, I only have to walk a few blocks and I’m there.

I’m pretty sure that if I ate at a different place everyday (which is not something my bank account would like very much), I wouldn’t get through more than a few blocks of eateries before the end of my internship.

Beyond the varying food choices, New York offers numerous possibilities for having a great summer and gaining experience as an intern, especially as a PR intern.

I know that many students feel hesitant about applying for an internship that is located in a large city – honestly, if I hadn’t lived abroad for a year, I might feel a bit hesitant myself – but, there is something about New York that guarantees you will have an amazing experience.There is an energy throughout New York that you can’t find anywhere else. Everywhere you look, things are happening – just last week, I stumbled across Russell Brand filming the remake of the classic 1980s movie Arthur.

But, it is more than seeing movie stars and eating Pop-Tarts. When Wall Street and Times Square are only a few blocks away, you feel connected to the things you are reading about in the news paper each morning. You feel involved in the work you are producing and that you are really there for your clients when they need you.

In the end, working in the city is like trying Pop-Tarts Sushi: it might be amazing, it might be terrible, but no matter what, it will be an unforgettable experience.

And, I might be biased, but I’m sure that you will find it to be a pretty amazing experience.